Tuesday, January 24, 2012

So Many Shoes, So Little Time!

My easy 3 miler was not so easy today. I was still incredibly sore from strength class yesterday (lots and lots of squats and lunges). But I stuck it out at the 1% incline for the whole time (26:49) anyways. I'd like to think my buns and thighs will thank me for breaking up that lactic acid, but for some reason I think that I'll wake up even more sore tomorrow.

But sore or not, I am super excited about tomorrow because I get to go to my first ever spin class! :)

I decided it was probably best to attend the Wednesday class at 12:15 while most people are at work, so if I make a total fool out of myself there won't be as many people there to watch. Once I get comfortable (and by comfortable, I mean making it through all 45 minutes of class) I might brave the Saturday morning session with all of the hardcore spinners.

And to make my exciting Wednesday even more exciting, I have brand new pairs of Nike running shorts and capri tights waiting for me at Foot Locker! They've actually been waiting there for me since Monday, but because of my work schedule, I haven't been able to pick them up yet. The anticipation is killing me!

Lately I've been reading a lot of running shoe reviews. I've been running in the Asics Gel Nimbus 12's since April:

Asics Gel-Nimbus 12

They're great shoes- but I also got injured while running in them. Sure, my injury may have been due to the fact that I ramped up my mileage way too fast as a last minute effort to prepare for a marathon, but I can't help but wonder if the shoes played a minor role. I'm a midfoot striker with a neutral gait, and although the Nimbus 12s provide lots of cushioning, you won't find much in the midsole. I know there are people out there who pick one shoe and wear them for the rest of their life (or until the brand stops making them, in which case they stock up). I just can't help but have a "grass is greener" mentality- I keep wondering if the other brands I haven't tried are better. Here are the trainers I'm trying to decide between:

1. Asics Gel Nimbus 13
2. Brooks Ghost 4
3. Brooks Glycerin 9
4. Mizuno Wave Rider 15

On top of that, I'm looking at buying my first tempo/track workout shoe. Something lightweight, but still sturdy enough that I can wear for races as well. I haven't done as much research in this department, but so far I've looked at these shoes:

1. Saucony Kinvara 2
2. Asics Speedstar 5
3. Mizuno Wave Ronin 3
4. Nike Lunaracer+ 2 (just for tempo/track workouts, not racing)

I'm obsessed with finding my perfect running shoes. I constantly look at them online. It's kind of like when I was obsessed with getting a new car- I just couldn't stop looking at them.

Now if I could just get to The Running Room and try some of these shoes on, I might figure out which ones I like best!

What shoes are you running in right now? Do you have a different pair for tempo/track workouts?


Have you ever tried a spin class?

Do you get as excited about new workout clothes as I do?

3 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend Pearl Izumi. They are taking me places with my running :) But I also have used the Nike Lunar Glide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to do the bulk of my mileage in the Pegasus, with the lunaracer for my track workouts and races shorter than the half. I recently picked up the lunarfly 3 which I did my last half in and loved them! I think that's be my go to half shoe plus I'll use it for tempo runs that are on pavement.

    I love spin! Hard workout but great XT - especially for running!

    And yes, I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm obsessed with the latest running gear. Especially season specific gear for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input guys! I've heard lots of good things about the Nike Lunar line, plus I like that they have room for a foot pod for indoor track workouts.

    ReplyDelete