Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bloomin' Onions and Social ICE

Workout: Easy 3 mile treadmill run, 27:25. Legs felt fresh after my rest day. Also did abs and arms.

Today we were going to hit up the Pizza Ranch buffet for dinner, but then we decided to go to Outback with the brother and sister-in-law, niece, and nephew. We actually went to Outback last year on February 13th to celebrate Valentine's day, and about 5 hours after we finished dinner, our niece Chloe was born! So we figured there was no better way to celebrate V-day and Chloe's birthday than going back to the Outback. Our nephew Charlie wasn't sold on the idea right away, but halfway through our meal he exclaimed, "I didn't know this place was so good!" :)

They have an awesome "Sweetheart Deal" where you get a bloomin' onion, a 9 oz. sirloin plus a side and salad for each of you, and cheesecake to share for $38.99. We did the same deal last year, too. We got there at 4:45 hoping to beat the rush, but it was still a 50-60 minute wait. Nothing can keep me from my bloomin' onion (or my sangria)!

 
Ben and I took down that bloomin' onion in
record time!

Delicous steak, medium well of course.

If you like your meat or fish undercooked or raw, don't ever work in a parasitology lab. Ignorance is bliss, my friends.

(I don't have a picture of the cheesecake because we ate it too fast.)

After dinner we headed over to Social ICE. It was a really cool experience... emphasis on the word cool. 15 degrees, felt like 3 degrees with wind chill. I'm surprised I lasted a full hour- it's no secret that I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I wanted to get an ice glass, but decided on the hot mulled cider instead. It was way too cold to be holding ice in my hands.

The ice bar. Bartender in the parka is a smart girl.


What Leah and I would look like if we were
ice sculptures.

This thing didn't do a very good job of keeping
us warm, but all the good heaters were taken.

All in all, it was a fun experience. I'll probably go back next year. Ben says this just prepared us better for California- now 60s and 70s will feel downright tropical!


Do you like Outback? Are you a bloomin' onion fan?

How do you like your steak?

Have you ever been to an ice bar?

2 comments:

  1. The spotlight was right on me in that picture, you can barely see my face. I'm betting that your California trip will be a lot better than the ice bar... enjoy the warm weather and outdoor running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't help that my phone doesn't take the best quality pictures. We may have had a mild winter this year, but I'm more than ready for spring!

      Delete