Monday, March 12, 2012

HEAT WAVE!

Long time no blog!

Last week was a good running week. Had a good 5-mile tempo run (where I actually stayed within my tempo pace range) on Thursday:


Tempo run success!

On Saturday I went to a PiYo class with a different instructor than I normally have. It was SO MUCH HARDER than my normal class! But it was good for me to push myself. After that I did an easy 2-miler on the treadmill, during which I felt a slight twinge of ITBS (eek!). Rather than stop running completely, I stopped and stretched, then finished the run. Probably not smart on my part, especially because it was only 2 miles. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time with my foam roller on Saturday. I was really nervous for my long run Sunday, because I knew that if my ITBS was back, I most likely wouldn't be able to make it past mile 2. But mile 2 came and went, as did mile 3, and 4, and so on... Although I felt some tightness, I finished all 9 miles with ZERO PAIN! And I finally mastered the whole "easy pace" thing. Although I started out closer to 9:00 miles and ended closer to 10:00 miles, my average pace ended up being 9:30. Easy peasy!

Probably the best part of my long run was that Ben ran all 9 miles with me! He's not quite sure, but this may be the farthest he's ever ran, and if not, it's at least the farthest he's ran since high school. I thought he was just going to run the first 2 miles with me and then turn around, but he decided pretty early on that he would stick it out for all 9. Even though I suspect he only did it to prove to me that he's better than me at EVERYTHING, I appreciated the company :) I tried to convince him to run the Med-City half with me in May, but he's not to keen on the idea. He says he won't be running that far again in a very long time... but we'll see if I can change his mind! He ran an 18:00 5K in high school, so he could be pretty awesome runner if he wanted to. Let's be honest- he could beat my half marathon PR without even training. He amazes me, yet makes me angry at the same time ;)

Spring has come a little early this year, as we've been having some fantastic weather in Stewartville lately. Here's what our 10-day forecast is looking like:

Weather is looking good for 5K race day (St. Patty's Day)!

My favorite was this warning that we saw right before our long run on Sunday:

Watch out folks- it's a HEAT WAVE!

This is what my week is looking like in terms of workouts:

Monday: REST
Tuesday: 3 mi. easy
Wednesday: Cycle class
Thursday: 5 mi. speedwork (maybe some mile repeats?)
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: 5K race
Sunday: 10 mi. long

Would you rather run with a friend/significant other or run alone?

What is your favorite season for running (spring/summer/fall/winter)?

I'd have to say mine is probably spring!

Do you plan your workouts at the beginning of the week, or just go with the flow?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on mastering that pace! I am still having lots of problems always wanting to go harder! Check out this blog post for help....Run slower to go faster!
    http://www.justingreentri.com/2012/01/keep-speed-at-bay-to-go-fast-another.html

    I have my workouts planned at the beginning of each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally have the same problem... my competitive side always gets the best of me, which probably isn't the best way to avoid injury. I'm slowly learning to embrace the concept of the "easy pace!" :)

    ReplyDelete